Broom Leys School History
There is evidence of a farmhouse on the site of Broom Leys from 1719.
The farmhouse was bought by Joseph Whetstone in 1845. He was the owner of Whitwick and Ibstock Colliery. In 1840 he was the Lord Mayor of Leicester.After his death in 1868, it was inherited by his brother, William.
The current house was built by William Whetstone in 1869 at a cost of £2,600. Joseph Goddard was the architect.
William Whetstone died in 1900 and the house and land came up for sale in 1903. The house was purchased by the Broom Leys Estate Co. Ltd but the estate lands (nearly 350 acres) were sold off.
In 1908 the house was bought by Horace Rendal Mansfield, who was the M.P. for Spalding in Lincolnshire
Whitwick Colliery bought the house in 1911 and in 1914 it was loaned from the mining company to house Belgian refugees during the First World War. In 1915 the house started to be used as a hospital for the war wounded.
Between 1925 and 1957, the building housed Broom Leys Secondary School. The headteacher for the whole of that period was Mr. Hill.
In 1957 the secondary school moved into the newly built Castle Rock School. Bridge Road Infant and Junior Schools moved to Broom Leys and it has been a primary school ever since.