Free School Meals
The government last night released its free school meals guidance for schools. The scheme which we have been operating on a temporary basis whilst awaiting for the guidance will soon change to the government-backed scheme, under which parents of children entitled to Free School Meals will receive vouchers to the value of £3.00 a day (£15.00 a week) during term time.
Any parents who are not currently registered for Free School Meals but believe they may be eligible should contact the school office so that we can help.
Your child may be able to get free school meals if you get any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the immigration and asylum act 1999
- the guaranteed element of pension credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit - if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
You can apply for Free School Meals through the Local Authority: https://www.leicestershire.gov.uk/education-and-children/social-care-and-supporting-families/free-school-meals but please do get in touch with school if you would like any help or guidance.
Parents of children who are entitled to Free School Meals will have received a text for them to activate a voucher scheme. You will receive a voucher worth £2.30 a day during term time.
If you are having any problems with the voucher scheme, please contact the school straight away.
We have been made aware that there is a scam going around. If you receive a text saying anything along the lines of ‘You are eligible for Free School Meal support during this time, please click the link below to enter your bank details for us to be able to transfer you your weekly school meal money’ you must ignore it. At no point will you be asked for your bank details to activate your vouchers.